Skip links
Do Green Card Holders Pay Taxes on Foreign Income

Do Green Card Holders Pay Taxes on Foreign Income?

‘Do green card holders pay taxes on foreign income?’ is an often-asked question. To clarify things, our commercial property tax experts help you find solutions regarding your LPR status and streamline residential taxation matters.

What is a Green Card and What Does it Do?

An individual permitted to live and work permanently in the United States is known as a Green Card holder. Such individuals are officially called lawful permanent residents (LPRs).

A green card is the legal proof of your permanent residence. Your (green card holder) taxation status is the primary consideration.

LPRs are tax residents of the United States, whether their income is generated or not. They usually have to comply with US tax requirements regarding their foreign income.

Do Green Card Holders Pay Taxes on Foreign Income?

The shortest answer is yes. However, there are some supporting conditions:

Foreign Earned Income Exclusion (FEIE)

Several provisions could lessen the tax burden on foreign-income LPRs. FEIE permits qualifying taxpayers to exclude a portion of their income from US taxes.

You should fulfill some conditions to qualify for the FEIE. These requirements include:

  • Living abroad for the whole tax year
  • Spending at least 330 full days in a foreign country in a 12-month consecutive period

A threshold for inflation is updated yearly, and it must be met. FEIE must also fulfill specific requirements.

Foreign Tax Credit (FTC)

A permanent foreign resident can use the Foreign Tax Credit (FTC). It allows you to deduct the taxes paid to a foreign government from the US tax burden on foreign income.

This benefit may be very advantageous for people whose home nation has high tax rates.

Reporting Requirements

LPRS must declare all their overseas income on their US tax return, regardless of whether they are eligible for the FEIE or FTC.

Penalties and possible legal ramifications follow failure to comply. In addition, certain foreign assets can require separate reporting on:

  • IRS Form 8938
  • FinCEN Form 114 (FBAR)

Getting Expert Guidance

We recommend that LPRs with overseas income consult with our certified tax professionals. We offer tailored advice based on your unique situation.

We also provide city property tax resources​ expertise to regulate your residential taxation matters. Our competent workforce guides you through the complexities of US tax law.

We ensure that reporting obligations are met. It will eventually help you pay as little tax as possible while avoiding any problems.

The Bottom Line

Knowing ‘Do green card holders pay taxes on foreign income?’ is crucial. LPRs must pay US taxes on their international income. However, some provisions lessen the tax burden on income received from overseas sources.

Guarantee compliance with the US tax rules by seeking our expert guidance.